Monday, December 19, 2005

What Can I Do?

I'm listening to Antony and the Johnsons and wondering why I didn't include it on my 2005 compilation cd. Well, I know why. It's the type of record best listened to from start to finish in one setting. It doesn't lend itself to the randomness of a mix tape, ipod shuffle or year end best of cd. Damn though. Sounds pretty amazing right now.

I missed Antony when he came through here a few months ago. Tickets were kind of pricey, and if I remember right I had something going on that night. Something so important I no longer remember a single thing about it. Hell, even Lou Reed sings on this album. How many albums has Lou Reed ever sang on besides his own? I can't think of one.

Here's the tracklisting for my 2005 year end cd:

The Mountain Goats- This Year
Spoon- I Turn My Camera On
My Morning Jacket- It Beats For You
Sufjan Stevens-Casimar Pulaski Day
Andrew Bird- A Nervous Tic Motion Of The Head To The Left
Death Cab For Cutie- Soul Meets Body
The Hold Steady- Your Little Hood Rat Friend
Clem Snide- The Sound Of German Hip Hop
Fiery Furnaces- Single Again
Calexico/Iron and Wine- A History Of Lovers
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club- Devil's Waiting
Eels- Railroad Man
White Stripes- I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals- When Will You Come Back Home
The Clientele- Since K Got Over Me
Low- Death Of A Salesman
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah- The Skin Of My Yellow Country Teeth
Bright Eyes- Road To Joy

Again, not necessarily the best songs from the best albums, although some certainly are. But these songs flow together, and in my mind present a pretty good picture of the music that did something for me in 2005. Someday I'll expand it to 2 CD's and I won't have to worry about eliminating the Sigur Ros's and Antony's of the world.

1 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

hey, you never mailed me my copy.
16169 old mansfield rd frederericktown ohio 43019

 

Post a Comment

<< Home