Thursday, September 14, 2006

Jon's Portfolio


I don’t remember how I got the keys to Jon’s portfolio. I don’t think he gave them to me, but I knew he wouldn’t really mind me staying there as long as I cleaned up after myself.

The space was converted out of an old warehouse. High ceilings, white walls–the place was pretty minimal with the exception of a few framed ads.

I don’t look at Jon’s work. I know I should, but I’m distracted by the portfolio’s nice TV and stereo system. The futons are great too. It’s like a giant crash pad.

I feel guilty by the end of my weekend. Jon’s portfolio was a mess. I struggle to clean it up and get organized when my sister pokes her head in the door. “How did you find me?” I ask.

“Oh, I always come here.”

She goes on to explain that whenever she’s in New York and needs a place to chill for a little while, she comes to the portfolio. I’m confused.

“But you don’t know Jon.”

“We tried all of the doors and this one was unlocked.” I’m outraged. What does she mean she tried all of the doors?

“I can’t help it if I need a place to crash for a bit during the day,” she says, “I say ‘hello’ and wait for an answer. If I don’t hear anything I walk in.” Oh my God. Doesn’t she worry about somebody not hearing her and attacking her or getting killed for breaking and entering?

“Don’t you worry about someone not hearing you and attacking you or getting killed?” I say as I’m choking her. “Someone could have a gun or a knife and really hurt you.

“Yeah, or a pair of pliers,” my brother in law says as he takes over the choking.

Eventually the situation gets resolved, and my sister and brother in law are ready to take off. We exchange hugs. “Well, it was really great seeing you. Drive safely.”

“Yeah,” they say, “You too. See you at Grandma’s”.

I’m still a little stressed. Jon’s portfolio was a mess, and I know I'll need to clean it up before I can hit the road. I start to pack my bag and I hear a noise. It sounds like a cat is outside. I wonder if Jon lets cats in his portfolio and go to look for the cat, knowing I should ignore it and get my stuff together.

2 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice dream. Jon's portfolio is nice. 1 and a 1/2 bedrooms, wash and dryer in portfolio.

It took me about half way through this post to realize what was going on.

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fucking awesome. It took me about halfway too. But seriously, if you can, take that last line off. Otherwise it's brilliant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home