Monday, July 10, 2006

choices in modern life (and a guacamole recipe)


I never know what to say when I'm at a grocery store and they ask if I'd like paper or plastic. Shouldn't we have a clear cut winner by now. Do we really have to make that choice every single time we go to the store?

I make the choice based on two criteria. If the trash is building up under my kitchen sink, I'll go with the paper. If the cat's litter box needs sifting, it's plastic for me.

While I can complain about the grocery stores giving me too many choices, and don't even get me started on toothpastes, it seems like other stores aren't giving us enough options. Drug stores, for example. You buy all kinds of embarrassing thing there, and what do they put your purchase in? A flimsy plastic bag that you see right through.

I was at Walgreens the other day. Even though I had my embarrassables well hidden in the bag, I still couldn't help but notice people trying to see through the plastic when I stopped off at a couple stores on the walk home. I'm asking about a firewire adapter and the guy behind the counter is eyeing my bag. Hey buddy, cut it out. Whatever embarrassables you might see in there would have absolutely nothing to do with you.

Of course some people might find their embarrassables in the produce section of the grocery store. Which would make their choice a little easier.

As for me, well, I didn't need to hide yesterday's grocery store purchase. Lime, avocado, cilantro, garlic, red onion and tomato make a mean guacamole. And it doesn't matter if I take it home in paper or plastic.

Proud Guac (for one really hungry man or two not so hungry...feel free to double)

1 avocado, mashed
1/4 cup red onion chopped
1 roma tomato, cored and chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
cilantro to taste, chopped
squeeze of lime
salt to taste

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home