Sunday, July 08, 2007

This ain't no Amsterdam


I didn't feel an enormous energy of feeling of place when I stepped off the train in Paris. I stood in line for the taxi after first being offered one for 40 euros, and began my short journey to my hotel. Big white French buildings. Lots of them. The kind that influenced much of the architecture in New Orleans. I realized I was in a big cosmopolitan city, and it was very unlike Amsterdam.

Just when I started to learn my way around Amsterdam and catch up on sleep, I was out the door on my way to Paris. Once here, I suddenly longed for the comforts of that city. It was active with plenty to do, but it was also very quaint. I loved my room. The bed was insanely comfortable, and I had started to frequent a coffee shop. I was in my groove.

Now, I must adapt in a number of ways. I can't wander around aimlessly and still find my way back quite the same way I could in Amsterdam. And now, my decisions often depend on two other people. I'm with M and L. I've been friends with L for years. L invited M along after I had committed, and I met her briefly when we began to book hotel rooms and travels between countries. So far so good, but I told L last night that I would probably be doing a lot more stuff on my own now that I've acquainted myself a bit.

I'm finding that when I'm on my own this city seems much more accessible. I'm able to get by and do stuff even with severely limited French. Most people know some English. But when I'm with the group L will speak in French and translate for me, but there's usually some laughing and uncomfortable moments that remind me of Elaine from Seinfeld, when she's in the Asian Nail Salon and she's convinced they are all talking about her.

I just found this cybercafe. It's the first I've seen. But now that I know my way around, my posts should be a little more regular.

I'll have to consult my tour book again for exact names, but among the places I've seen are Notre Dame and the gardens around the Lovre. Tons of walking around yesterday. Last night was really nice though....L and I took it easy and sipped a lot of wine while we explored new areas. M was jet lagged. She'd just met up with us that day and needed to get some sleep.

It's 1:21pm. Time to get some lunch. Big lunch. I'm really hungry and ready for more than croissants and cheese.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home